Launched on 16 February 1944 at the Electric Boat Company yard on the Thames River in Groton, Conn, Bergall was commissioned on 12 June 1944, with Lieutenant Commander John M. Hyde in command. Hyde would remain in command during all of Bergall‘s five war patrols.
Bergall was initially sent to Pearl Harbor, where she arrived on 13 August. Her first patrol took her to Fremantle, which would be her operational base for the rest of her war service. In all, Bergall made five war patrols, sinking two merchantmen for 14,710, and a 740-ton frigate.
Damaged by a mine on 13 June 1945, during her fifth war patrol, Bergall put into Subic Bay for emergency repairs on 17 June. With emergency repairs completed, she was sent back to the States for permanent repairs, arriving at Portsmouth on 4 August 1945.
Bergall rejoined the Pacific fleet in December 1945, where she remained until transfered to the Atlantic in July 1950.
Bergall was loaned to Turkey on 17 October 1958, renamed Turgutreis. The loan continued until 1973, when she was sold to Turkey, remaining in active service as part of the Turkish fleet until 1983. Her name changed to Ceryan Botu-6, the ex-Bergall was kept at the Golcuk Naval Shipyard as a receiving ship until decommissioned for the last time in 1996.
|HISTORY FOR U.S.S. Bergall|
|2/16/44||Electric Boat||Mrs. J.A. Elkins||6/12/44||LCDR John M. Hyde||Turkey 1958|
|1||John M. Hyde||Pearl Harbor||9/44||60||3/21,500||2/14,700||Fremantle|
|2||John M. Hyde||Fremantle||12/44||21||1/12,500||0/0||Fremantle|
|3||John M. Hyde||Fremantle||1/45||28||1/900||2/974||Subic Bay|
|4||John M. Hyde||Subic Bay||3/45||43||0/0||0/0||Fremantle|
|5||John M. Hyde||Fremantle||5/12/45||37||0/0||0/0||Subic Bay|